Cousart scores 31 in Bears' 90-87 win over Immaculata

COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. – Ursinus senior guard Remy Cousart (Philadelphia, Pa./Holy Ghost) pumped in a game and career-high 31 points as the Bears (5-3) rallied for a 90-87 overtime win over Immaculata (4-6) on Tuesday.

Cousart scored 26 of his points in the second half, including ten points in the extra period. All five starters scored in double figures, but, were the only players to score for Ursinus in the contest.

For Immaculata, sophomore guard John Boyd had 23 points, while sophomore guard Robert Siter adding in 21.

For Ursinus, junior guard Matt Hilton (Lewistown, Pa./Lewistown) had 20 points, with freshman forward John Ward (Allentown, Pa./Parkland) adding in 15.

Ursinus trailed for much of the overtime period, including a seven-point deficit with 47 seconds to go on a pair of foul shots by Boyd. Cousart got a three-point play with 42 seconds left to cut the lead to four. On the ensuing possession, Immaculata missed two foul shots and Ursinus got to within one on another three point play by Cousart.

With the shot clock off, Immaculata turned the ball over on the inbounds pass giving the Bears the ball. Cousart’s layup with 20 ticks left gave Ursinus its first lead in the extra frame, 88-87.

On Immaculata’s next possession, freshman guard Nelson Torres missed a layup with nine seconds left, which was rebounded by Hilton. Hilton was fouled, and made both shots to give Ursinus a 90-87 lead. Immaculata’s three-pointer at the buzzer did not get off in time.

Freshman forward Kevin Janowski (New Egypt, N.J./New Egypt) had 14 points for the Bears, with freshman guard Matt Donahue (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Trinity) scoring ten.

Immaculata got 15 points from Torres, and 16 points off the bench from freshman forward Kendell Peters. Peters, who scored all 16 points in the first half, connected on four three-pointers in the first 20 minutes. The Mighty Macs dialed long distance all night, connecting on ten three-pointers.

In the first half, the Mighty Macs jumped out to an early 8-4 lead on a layup by senior forward Jeff DeSantis with 17:34 to go. Ursinus fought back and took its first lead at 13-12 with 15:08 to go on a layup by Cousart. The Bears biggest lead in the first half would be four points at 23-19 with 10:58 left on a three-pointer by Donahue.

Immaculata grabbed the lead back at 26-25 with 7:52 to go on a layup by freshman guard Todd Stokley. Trailing 30-29 with 3:50 left, Ursinus saw the Mighty Macs go on a 9-0 run to end the half, capped by a three-point bomb from Peters at the buzzer for a 38-30 lead.

In the second half, Ursinus tied the score four times before taking a 52-51 lead on a jumper by Ward. The Bears had a four-point lead at 71-67 with 3:22 left on a foul shot by Cousart.

The Bears had a commanding 43-26 lead on the glass, with Cousart grabbing a game-high 11. Hilton had nine as well, while Boyd had six rebounds for IU.

Ursinus heads to Florida to play in the Land of Magic Classic next Monday, starting with a matchup against Merchant Marine.