Red Devils Withstand Wild Women's Basketball Rally

Red Devils Withstand Wild Women's Basketball Rally

COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. – Libby Lannon capped an unbelievable comeback in the final minute of regulation with a game-tying lay-up at the buzzer, but Dickinson was able to shake off the shock and squeeze out a 71-63 overtime victory over Ursinus in a Centennial Conference women's basketball thriller on Saturday afternoon.

Lannon finished with a career-high 19 points, including a fast-break lay-up that spun around the rim several times before dropping through to cap a 7-0 flurry in the final 16.1 seconds and force overtime. The co-captain fouled out 26 seconds into the extra session, and Kassidy Lesher's basket with 3:21 to play gave the Red Devils (16-7, 13-5) a lead they would not relinquish. Dickinson scored eight straight points after junior Rachel Guy gave Ursinus (13-11, 11-8) a short-lived lead with a running lay-in at 3:34.

Dickinson clinched a playoff berth with the victory, but the Bears' path became much more murky. Ursinus has a week off before closing the regular season at playoff-bound Gettysburg on Saturday; before that, Johns Hopkins (10-8 CC) will host Washington College with a chance to take the race for the last playoff spot down to the final day. Should the Blue Jays defeat the Shorewomen, the Bears will either need a win or a Hopkins loss to last-place Bryn Mawr to claim a postseason spot.

Lannon added nine rebounds to her stat line, just missing a double-double while also racking up four steals and three assists in a quintessentially diverse performance. Classmate Carla Maccaroni got her first career start on Senior Day and played a little over three minutes to begin the game.

Freshman Lydia Konstanzer had 14 points and 10 rebounds for her eighth double-double, fellow rookie Toni Suler finished with 13 points, five rebounds, four blocks, and three steals, and Guy tallied 12 points off the bench.

Mary Martin had 15 points and Lesher registered 14 points and 12 rebounds for Dickinson, which ended the third quarter on a 12-0 run to take a 46-36 lead into the final frame. The Red Devils extended the margin to 12 on their first possession before Ursinus made its move, getting within 52-51 on a three-point play by Suler with 2:09 left in regulation.

Dickinson got a banked jumper from Mackenzie Skerritt to go ahead by three, and Skerritt's breakaway lay-up with 24 seconds left looked to have wrapped up a Red Devil win. Trailing 58-51, Lannon's three-point play with 16.1 ticks showing cut the margin to four, and Dickinson threw away the ensuing inbounds.

Lannon's jumper with 7.2 seconds remaining made it 58-56, and Skerritt missed both free throws at the other end. Sophomore Kaci McNeave grabbed the rebound and fed ahead to Lannon, who raced up-court and spun in the tying lay-up as the buzzer sounded, sending a strong Bears crowd into a frenzy. Unfortunately, Ursinus was unable to get over the hump.

The Bears committed a season-low nine turnovers and held slight advantages in the paint (38-34), off turnovers (14-10), and in second-chance points (14-13). The Red Devils controlled a 48-40 advantage e glass and made four 3-pointers to just one for Ursinus, which was 1 for 12 from deep and 25 of 72 overall (34.7 percent). Dickinson shot 44.8 percent (26 for 58) against a Bears defense that had held its last four foes to a combined 22.2 percent from the floor.

Ursinus looks to lock down a playoff spot Saturday at 4 p.m. in Gettysburg. 

Lannon's Buzzer-Beater
Feb 11, 2017

Libby Lannon scores at the buzzer to send Saturday's game against Dickinson to OT