More OT For Men's Soccer

More OT For Men's Soccer

UNION, N.J. – The Ursinus College men's soccer team battled for a 1-1 draw with Kean in the Bears' fourth straight match requiring overtime.

Ursinus (0-4-2), no stranger to playing tight thrillers and games needing extra time, found itself in a familiar situation once again during Wednesday night's non-conference tilt, with two overtimes necessary for the third time in four outings.

Both sides were on the verge of scoring multiple times throughout regulation but were held off the board until the 74th minute when the Bears broke the deadlock. Sophomore midfielder Jacob Helwig buried his first career goal on a one-timer high into the net. The sequence started with senior midfielder Justin Molyneaux's throw into the box which was headed by the Cougar backline. The failed clear fell right onto Helwig's foot before he powered it past Kean goalie Malcom Moreira.

The Bears' lead was short-lived as the Cougars (4-2-1) responded a few minutes later. In the 77th minute, Alex Nicol's free kick from the far left side into the box was headed home by defender Phil Lopes for the equalizer. It was his first career goal as well.

Ursinus senior goalkeeper Brandon Lillian and Kean's Moreira each played phenomenally in goal. Lillian's decision making on threatening lead passes eliminated several Kean scoring chances throughout the night. He was a busy man in between the posts, facing 21 total shots and an abundance of threatening scoring chances. Lillian made eight saves of the nine on goal, most of them tough.

Moreira made six saves in his first career start and second appearance on the year. The Bears registered 16 shots with seven on goal.

Lillian and the Bears backline held in check the Cougars' potent offense, which averaged over three goals a game.

In the second overtime, not much was brewing but Ursinus freshman Aiden Cooper's rising blast was saved by Moreira.

In the first overtime, Lillian deflected a deep kick over the net. The Cougars created more chances but the Bears held on as Nicol took a shot just wide of net.

The most dangerous Kean threat was when Lillian came out and knocked the ball away from Felipe Lucas. Lucas dribbled around in the box with the Bears backline looming and his shot went wide of net.

As for regulation, Kean generated close calls late in the second half. A great hustle play by Ursinus freshman defender Mike Buck allowed himself to steal the ball from behind, eliminating a close shot on goal with about 10 minutes to play in regulation.

Kean also had a goal disallowed by an offside with about five minutes to play, when a kick from 30 yards was deflected in but didn't count.

Lillian dove to save a header off a cross that was going for the far post in the late minutes of regulation.

The first half featured a disallowed Kean goal and several scoring opportunities for both sides but no one broke into the scoring column.

About nine minutes into the match, the Bears staved off a Cougar opportunity. A Bear defender cleared a bouncing ball near the goal line after Lillian deflected a short shot while coming out to challenge the attempt.

Ursinus senior Ben Amaral's chip over the keeper from the top of the box just trickled right of the open net about 15 minutes in.

In the 26th minute, an offside call erased Kean's goal off the scoreboard. A cross from the sideline was headed, saved by Lillian and the following rebound was sent into the net but was disallowed.

With under a minute left in the first half, Ursinus freshman Simbarashe Kanjanda's shot from the top of the box hit the crossbar.

The Bears get back into conference play Saturday at Washington College for a 7 p.m. match.